Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Midlist Writer blog, where he talks about writing, adventure travel, caving, and everything else he gets up to. He also reproduces all the posts from Civil War Horror, so drop on by!

Friday, August 16, 2013

Civil War Photo Friday: An Old Veteran heading to the Reunion


It's my birthday today, and while I'm not as wrinkled as this old coot, I'm working on it. This is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization for Union veterans of the Civil War. He's heading off to a reunion in 1914, almost 50 years after the war had ended. Reunions were hugely popular and in later years veterans of both sides often held them together.

As for me, I'm heading off too. If the weather is good today, I'll be hiking in the English countryside. If the sky gives us some very English rain, I'll go to lunch and a museum with my wife. See you later!


Photo courtesy Library of Congress.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sean! Both those options sound good. Lunch with the wife and a museum, then hike to work off the lunch.

    Hope you enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it ended up pissing down here in Oxford so no hike like I planned. I had a quiet morning writing, then a couple of pints with the family at The Rusty Bicycle, followed by a pigout at our favorite chippie. Not a bad way to turn 44.

      Delete
  2. Happy B-day ! Nice pic, didn't know there were veteran reunions at that time.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Feel free! No anonymous comments allowed, though. Too many spammers and haters on the Internet.