Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Midlist Writer blog, where he talks about writing, adventure travel, caving, and everything else he gets up to. He also reproduces all the posts from Civil War Horror, so drop on by!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Back from the DC Gadling travel blogger summit!

I'm back in Santander all jetlagged and happy. The Gadling travel blogger summit was a huge success. I had only met a few of my coworkers and it was nice to finally put more faces to names. We had some productive planning meetings for how to improve the site, plus lots of social activities like a gastrotour of historic DC and a visit to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.

The Smithsonian was a real highlight. The above photo is of Titanoboa, a 48-foot, 2,500 pound snake that was the terror of the prehistoric world. Below is a more modern predator, taken alongside Bu BambĂș. My son always sneaks a toy into my luggage when I'm going on a trip, and I take photos of my surprise travel companion wherever I go. Bu BambĂș is one of the Gormitis. This TV show (and series of toys, and comic book, etc.) is about a bunch of kids with a secret lab under their parents' house where they can turn into monsters to fight bad guy monsters in a parallel universe. Yeah, it hits all the buttons and is hugely successful.

Of course the best part of the weekend was getting to know my fellow travel bloggers better and swapping travel tales. The Gadling team is an eclectic bunch of writers specializing in adventure travel, food, cruises, outdoors, and more. So head on over to the world's best travel blog and check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Glad it was a big success!
    And there was a special on one of the animal stations about titanoboa, so I actually know a little about that snake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it was an excellent event. I wish I could have gone there.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Feel free! No anonymous comments allowed, though. Too many spammers and haters on the Internet.